What will the prices be?

Forums Pricing What will the prices be?

Keymaster

Well, at a 10% premium over the base Model 3, the base Model Y should be $38,500.

But Tesla of course won’t start with the base trim.

What are your thoughts on the starting trims and prices, and when they’ll be available?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Replies
      Kyle Field
      Participant

I’m banking on Tesla following what it has done with Model 3, including the same battery packs. I agree that they’ll start with the premium options: premium interior, long range battery. I’d expect the lower volume, higher margin performance build to follow.
      * Standard Range, Mid Range, Long Range
      * Same Exterior options, new rims, maybe new colors
      * Standard and Premium interior
      * Full Autopilot hardware, etc

I’m the most excited that it will come with normal doors…for normal people 😀

Model Y
      Participant

I hope they start with a base trim but i suspect your correct and they won’t

zshahan
        Keymaster

Yeah, Tesla has never started with the base trim. Just too much capital expense and financial risk to not start with the highest margin trims.

Scott Schreck
      Participant

Elon talked about simplifying the wiring and eliminating the need for the 12V battery, I’m curious if they have accomplished that in the Model Y. That would reduce cost and simplify production which would either make for less of a price premium or higher profit margins.

PLM_Florida
      Participant

I just hope that they learned enough about the pricing/options/range from the 3 to come out with their final lineup from the start. With the Model 3 they changed it so many times — RWD then no RWD, now its back. Had to be frustrating for those that bought the first rounds, then had their model disappear and have to worry about resale value. They need people to buy right away and not feel the need to wait for all the early adopters and Tesla to shake out their final lineup. That’s the part that makes me nervous about buying it within the first year of its release — but I want a Tesla SUV!!! I hate, hate, hate, hate my Prius and the non-stop cracking my head because its so short!!

zshahan
      Keymaster

Ha, yeah, driving this for a day would surely make anything worth it. 😀

Tesla has always started the pricing/trims at the high end — has to for financial reasons. But the many changes on the 3 have definitely been wild. Wonder if they will feel a need to experiment like that with the Y.

That said, I doubt it influences resale value much. Production year will matter, but don’t think different options have made a significant impact on Tesla resale values in the past.

Anyway, yeah, almost have a Tesla crossover!

Mike
      Participant

Tesla had to start with the more profitable model 3 trims, and if the situation hasn’t changed I would expect the same with the Y. Bummer. My only hope for the lower price trim level is if it can run down the same line at the same time as others. Don’t believe that is something they can do yet. Or is it? Aren’t they taking about running standard 3s with dual motor Ys? Alternating?

Keith
      Participant

Who cares what the pricing will be. Just let me reserve one for $1000 ASAP!!

Pat Potvin
        Participant

Exactly, when someone knows how much can be saved without gas, maintenance and repairs of an ICEV, and the longevity of a quality EV vs an ICEV… and most importantly, without spewing toxic emissions all over the place!

It’s really a no brainer!…

James Ponga
      Participant

Expect the Y to have competition this year. Model 3 had 0 competition. Musk will for the first time have to face a competitor or two or three or…
      It will be interesting how he functions in an environment he has little experience in. His margins on the Y will be better than the 3 right from the start so that will help him keep the prices more reasonable but he can’t underprice the 3 and hurt those sales. Expect the prices of the 3 to come down slightly to protect that segment and keep the Y prices more reasonable. He will make a big mistake if he plays the same exact game with the Y, that is a $70K item. Expect the Y top pricing around $55K.
      Also expect used Model 3s to start flooding the market. If in market for a 3 it might be a good time.

Keith
        Participant

I doubt that you’re going to get a Performance Y (when they DO become available) for anything less than $65k.

James Ponga
      Participant

Maybe but I don’t think so. $65K will be treading on competitors territory who will have higher quality (MB, Jag, Audi….) cars and given the choice of an SUV, people will choose comfort and quality over big performance.

Pat Potvin
        Participant

You’re at the wrong place to start cheering about jags and Audi’s… don’t you remember that they never wanted to produce EVs in the first place, and keep us forever in the stone ages… competition from dedicated EV manufacturers fine, the other ones, the world can do without…
        Thank you! Good bye!

James Ponga
      Participant

Ok, I’ll take the bait.
      We’re discussing the realities of pricing, not cheering about anything.

EV_Lover
      Participant

End of 2020 will the prices fall below $50K, if that happens then that will have good demand.

James Ponga
      Participant

Remember the 10% already includes AWD which was a premium on the 3. So that’s a big plus showing that Tesla has already been able to achieve more efficient production numbers. With more of the lessons learned from the 3, the Y will be more profitable at a lower price. All that is good news because the competition is just around the corner and you know Elon has been keenly looking at the strategy needed to maintain market share. And market share will be the new challenge for Tesla, not technology.

Paul
      Participant

The new Model Y should be priced slightly higher then the M3 dual motor

Kepolas
      Participant

Paul – I believe you are correct about the pricing being 10% above the dual motor version of the Model 3. Since the base price for the Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive is $47,000 before rebates, etc. the base price of the Model Y is more likely be start around $51,700…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.