Towing package

Forums Pricing Towing package

Participant

Model Y should include options for towing, I’m wondering how it will compare to the Model X capacity.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Replies
      zshahan
      Keymaster

Good question. Not knowing much about towing, what are the critical levels for buyers? And where is the X in that mix?

BeenWaitingSolong
      Participant

A towing package is very important. I use my current SUV’s tow hitch for a sturdy bike rack that handles my very heavy e-bike! The same would be needed in a Tesla CUV. We want to be able to haul around our fun-time stuff to the woods or to the beach.

Tesla Blanca
      Participant

Not much talk about towing package. I think the Model Y really should have one. Towing and 3rd row seating are some of the things that give “Utility” to a CUV. I don’t need to tow anything huge, just a 5 x 8 utility trailer. With this set up I can do 99% of everything I ever did with my mid-sized pickup truck. Any hit on range suffered when towing doesn’t really matter if I’m only making a 20 mile round trip to Home Depot to get typical DIY supplies. In fact, I would put a tow hitch on my Model 3 if it was sanctioned by Tesla.

Keith
      Participant

The Model X is 5000 lb capacity so if the Model Y offers towing it should be 3500 lb maybe.

Mike
      Participant

Let’s start with the minimum. I also have the small utility trailer, which isn’t even capable of more than 1,750 lbs, and I forget the tongue rating…. but try to keep it under 200 lbs. That’s all I need to use the old Equinox as a trade in.

Keith
        Participant

I’m looking to tow a teardrop so maybe 2500 lbs as my minimum.

Joe
      Participant

If I were to venture a guess, it would probably be in the neighborhood of the X’s 5k lb range, possibly within 1k miles. The reason the X is limited to 5k is likely due to frame strength & breaking power, not at all by the motors as they’re capable of much more with the amount of torque they provide. Not that I couldn’t see them dropping it a bit just to keep the value of the X …or proportion of weight of the load to the vehicle, but I don’t think their Y will be a lightweight.
      Either way, I can’t wait to see for myself.

David
      Participant

I have on my present vehicle two ways to tow:
      First is the rear hitch for bike rack or small trailer.
      Second is on the front used to pull by my motorhome as a toad(four wheels on the ground).
      Can an electric vehicle free wheel to be towed?

Tesla Blanca
        Participant

I can only answer for the Tesla Model 3 because I own one and the answer is no, it can’t be dinghy towed.

Mighk Wilson
      Participant

I’m totally infatuated with Teslas, but the hitch/towing issue would be a deal-breaker for me. My wife and I joke that our Subaru Outback (our only car) is our most expensive bicycle accessory. We put our tandem on the top, a four-bike rack on the hitch, and we also have a tear-drop camper. (BTW, if a Mini Cooper can do this, it’d be a total shame that the Y couldn’t.)

Tesla Blanca
      Participant

If you do some Google searches, you will find more than one company making tow hitches and even wiring harnesses for the Model 3. The manufacturers of these hitches tell you to refer to Tesla as to whether install and use of these hitches will cause problems with your vehicle warranty. I’ve seen info posted on Reddit making the representation that the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act would not allow Tesla to declare the installation and use of a hitch as a blanket voiding of the warranty. Instead, Tesla would have to prove that the damage for which the warranty claim is based was caused by the hitch. This would be difficult for Tesla to do in most cases, especially if the hitch is only used for a bike rack. Hopefully Tesla will include the tow hitch with the Model Y, if not, you can bet that it will be available in the aftermarket. Even if you ignore the warranty issue, the one aspect that the aftermarket cannot address is what the car will do with respect to its sensors when you have a bike rack or a trailer attached. I have seen videos from the Model X in “tow mode” that deals with this. I would not want to install a hitch on my Model 3 or Model Y just to have the car constantly harping at me that I’m about to back into something.

Mighk Wilson
      Participant

Teslarati says we should expect towing options for both the Y and the 3.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Tagged: ,

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.