7 seats?

Forums Interior 7 seats?

Participant

Will the Model Y have 6 or 7 seats? Or will it be a 5 seater like the model 3? Since it is 10% bigger than a model 3, it could have 7 seats, but the back ones would be small. It would make a huge difference to families because I found my kids fought less when they had their own row. Also I needed a lot of seats for my school and sports carpool.

But my expectation is to be disappointed with 5 seats.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Replies
      Anonymous
      Inactive

To answer that, I think we need to first answer “is it possible?” And “is it important to them to do so”.

My thinking is yes to both questions.

So why is it important to them? They currently charge 5-7k for the third row option in the X. I know it doesn’t cost them that much to manufacture the seats, so that’s an easy way to upsell more profitable options. It also opens up the market to many more people than with only a 5 seat option. I’ve seen posts like crazy on twitter begging for it.

So, is it at all possible? Well, they also did it in the S. I would imagine with an SUV, it won’t be too difficult to figure it out. The Kia Sorento comes with a 7 seat option and that’s about 10% bigger than the 3 (same as Y will be). Plus, the Kia has an combustion engine taking up frontal room the Y can utilize. I wouldn’t count on too much additional space behind the third row, but they’ll justify that with a descent frunk.

Full disclosure, I’m probably just convincing myself because my wife and I will be getting one of it has three rows. But, that’s my 2cents.

zshahan
        Keymaster

haha, good ending there. 😀 but also useful thoughts.

my guess would be two options: 5 or 6 seats. hard to imagine Tesla squeezing 7 into the vehicle.

and that said, i might be wishing for 6 seats more than predicting it. 😀

Mike
      Participant

Fewest seats possible please! They already have a big SUV, this is not that. I hope.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I don’t think it will be. Elon said 10% bigger, so we’re nowhere close to X territory. Those that want the 5 seat option will still have it, I just think it’ll be nice with the extra cargo room.

Ryan
      Participant

Hoping for 7 seats as well. Why not two child-sized rear-facing seats a la Model S offering (though not anymore)?

Mr THOMAS
      Participant

Why not, I like that. The rear facing seats, the deeper meaning “depth” frunk they no longer offer, and having the shifter on the steering wheel like cars did back in the days, is all to me one of the amazing things about Tesla. Kids love something out of the box and love features like the rear facing seats. Though I have too admit I would love for them to fit adults too because I too want to have fun. Please Tesla thanks!!!

Viewing 3 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.